Episode 16: Travel For Self-Care: How to Take a Career Break to Beat Burnout
Anybody else dreaming of crowded airports, long ass TSA lines, and the pilot saying we’ll be sitting on the tarmac until our gate opens up just to FINALLY be able to escape our homes to a tropical paradise?? I for sure can’t wait to start traveling the world *safely* at my leisure (it’s my big WHY for starting MZ).
This week’s expert podcast guest is doing just that! Roshida is a career break coach who is living her life around the world and I just had to have her on to spill the tea on how we can use travel as self-care.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn:
- Her journey from working as a black woman in the stressful tech world to taking a year to travel the world and then helping other women do the same.
- How stress manifests itself in our bodies and how we can use those signals to stay 2 steps ahead of burnout
- The difference between checking in vs. checking out with self-care and cannabis; mindfulness vs. numbing
- Hustle culture in our society and why that leads to ‘sleeping when you die’
- Why our dreams of traveling the world may be closer and less expensive than we think *seriously y’all this is gold!*
- Why a career break is a realistic, awesome idea and planning tips to get started
- Very real fears that her clients have about leaving and how to overcome them
- 10 cannabis friendly countries to visit & whether they’re also black girl friendly
- Hustle culture leads to an endless work cycle when we don’t have a goal in place for what we desire. Have you thought about what goal you’re aiming for or are you just working until you can’t?
- Our body will always give us a sign that we need to make a change. For me, it was falling asleep driving after ignoring my insomnia for years. How do we get 2 steps ahead of a physical breakdown? Check in with your body.
- Being tired is NOT normal! Take your sleep issues seriously peeps.
- Check out some of my resources on sleep.
- Leaving your job to chase your dreams of traveling the world for a year is not as unattainable (or expensive) as you *we* think. It’s less expensive than we think so do your research and set a number!
- Fear is real y’all! One fear that Roshida mentioned her clients experience that hit home for me was leaving your parents/peeps and something bad happening. That was a real fear I had when I was making the decision to move away from home to Las Vegas. Fear will exist, but we can’t talk ourselves out of living our dream life.
- “If you want to live an unconventional life, you have to do unconventional things” 🤯 Roshida D
Listen to the Full Episode
- Roshida D. – Career Break Coach
- From Burnout to Bliss: The Path to Taking a Career Break to Travel In Under a Year
- Free Sabbatical Planning Guide
- Shida’s On the Loose
10 Cannabis Friendly Countries (🌟 means also Black-Girl Friendly)
- Canada 🌟
- Mexico *newly federally legal* 🌟
- Amsterdam 🌟
- Argentina 🌟
- Sri Lanka
- Jamaica 🌟
- Costa Rica
- Belize 🌟
Share this Episode
If you are a stoner that needs help learning ways to prioritize and implement self-care using your favorite plant and want to learn more about cannabis along the way, you’re in the right place!
High on Self-Care is a podcast from MaryZeal.com, a growing community for WOC who love cannabis and want to use it as part of their self-care routine.